Friday 16 October 2015

Cranberry pickle (South Indian style)

 

 
 
This happens to be my 100th post in my blog! I never thought that I can manage a food blog at all!!

In my family and among my close friends, Sita's cooking was always a big joke. I was never very interested in cooking. Maybe that is the reason to start this blog, where I try to spend very little time in the kitchen and prepare some healthy and nutritious food!

My husband Gokhale Kolluru was the first person who urged me to document the recipes so that the next generation could be benefited. I dedicate my blog to his memory. My daughter-in-law Doreen Gillespie is good at gardening and experimenting in cooking. It is her insatiable interest which makes me give her more and more recipes. All the members of my family are encouraging me in this ongoing effort.

When I started my blog, I did not even know how to post or insert pictures or link posts etc. For me, it is a continuous  learning process. A lot of youngsters were teaching me how to start a blog, how to go about these procedures. I am indebted to all of them. Of course, I thank all friends from everywhere who are following my recipes.

My sister Mrs Kamala Subbarao was an expert cook. Cooking was a passion for her. She was always experimenting with ingredients and combinations. My niece, Neelaveni Sankar has contributed this post which is her mother's recipe.

Pickle immediately after making:                                                       Pickle after 2 or 3 days:



                                                          

 











Ingredients:

  •      2 Cups cranberry
  •      4 Tbsp. chile powder
  •      4 Tbsp. mustard seeds
  •      5 Tbsp. salt
  •      4 Tbsp. oil
  •      1/2 Tsp. turmeric powder
  •      Pinch of hing (Asafetida)

Directions:

  1.      Wash and dry cranberries.
  2.      Grind mustard seeds to make mustard powder. (If you get ready  made mustard powder, you may use that)
  3.      Heat oil in a deep pan.
  4.      Add cranberries.
  5.      Cook on low heat till cranberries pop.
  6.      Turn off heat.
  7.      Add turmeric powder, hing, salt, chile powder and mustard powder.
  8.      Mix well and let it cool.
  9.      Transfer to a dry bottle and refrigerate.
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment